Licensing an XML schema

Roberto Bonino documentation at adance.com
Mon Mar 4 11:13:24 UTC 2002

John,

> Otherwise, using emacs to edit a file would imply that the file was
> automatically under the GPL, which is *not* the case.

My worry is the other way around:
can a nonGPLed software be built around processing and exchanging a GPLed
XML schemas?

For example imagine I release a GPLed  XML schema for car part description,
call it carXML.
Can somebody write a commercial, nonGPLed program that relies largely or
totally  on processing and exhanging carXML compliant files ?
The software would not "include" carXML as part of the code,
but would be totally useless without acces to it.

Roberto