[discuss] License Approval Request: Macromedia Open Source Li cense

Tom Harwood tharwood at macromedia.com
Thu Jun 20 02:40:37 UTC 2002

> [David Johnson] In short: I do not see and significant changes between your license and the original.

I (as a delegated representative of Macromedia, Inc.) will take your feedback to the Legal department, but I did ask them to use the original license and they indicated that they felt that the wording inserted was of greater import than your interpretation of the word "clarify."  Perhaps I can get them to clarify their position as well as the license.

> [David Johnson] So just use the original.

I (as a geek) would be extremely happy to do so.  Does anyone know of other large software vendors who have adopted a common license and not suddenly exploded and/or turned into a frog?  A case study, if one exists, specifically targeted at the licensing issues would be most helpful.

> [David Johnson] I humbly beg the OSI to fast track to the day when all Open Source Certified
> licenses are either generic or templatized so that we do not end up with
> several hundred identical CPL's with merely the name of the governing
> jurisdiction changed.

This is an excellent suggestion.

Thanks, and best regards,

--