discuss: Bento Poetic License (resubmission)

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Mon Jul 22 02:43:17 UTC 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Michael St . Hippolyte wrote:
> On 2002.07.19 19:11 Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Sun wanted the same thing with Java, to make adherence to a published
> > standard part of the copyright license.  Unfortunately for you, it's
> > been well established that such a desire is not compatible with the
> > Open
> > Source definition.
>
> I'm not sure the situations are comparable.  Our license does not
> require adherence to a standard, it just forbids false claims of
> adherence.

I think in Sun's opinion it ends up being a distinction without a useful
difference.  If someone forked their code and called the result "Javuh" or
"OpenJava", or if someone duplicated yours and called it "Bentoh" or
"OpenBento", then it might be hard to effectively fight.  It becomes a
battle of who's brand is stronger, and I think they assumed that a certain
company in Redmond could always out-spend and thus out-brand them.

	Brian