discuss: Bento Poetic License (resubmission)

Michael St . Hippolyte mash at brooklyndigital.net
Sat Jul 20 02:11:49 UTC 2002

On 2002.07.19 19:11 Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> Sun wanted the same thing with Java, to make adherence to a published
> standard part of the copyright license.  Unfortunately for you, it's
> been well established that such a desire is not compatible with the
> Open
> Source definition.

I'm not sure the situations are comparable.  Our license does not
require adherence to a standard, it just forbids false claims of
adherence.

The Poetic License says you can do whatever you want with the source
code except for one thing: make a certain narrowly defined class of
modifications, call the result Bento and redistribute it.  2 out of 3
is ok; only the combination of all three is prohibited.

The Open Source Definition, in the section entitled "The Integrity of
the Author's Source Code", says that a license "may require derived
works to carry a different name or version number from the original
software."  The restriction in the Poetic License is intended to be
in the spirit of this point.  In fact, the restriction is very
narrow; only a small class of derived works is required to carry a
different name.

Michael St. Hippolyte
bentodev.org