QuantLib License 1.0 submitted for OSD branding

Ferdinando Ametrano ferdinando at ametrano.net
Wed Jan 9 11:20:03 UTC 2002

Hi all

I wrote:
>Since it is a Xfree86-style license there should be no problem, but I
>wonder how to obtain a formal OSD conformance certification. Is this email
>to license-discuss enough?
Sorry I didn't wait for opensource.org to be up and running again.
Now it works and I've read about the OSI Certification Mark and Program
(http://www.opensource.org/docs/certification_mark.html).
I will get the feedback from this list and then I'll contact
license-approval at opensource.org
early next week

Karsten M. Self wrote about the QuantLib License 1.0:
>This isn't a verbatim + modifications of the BSD license.  As a matter
>of efficiency, if there's no need to deviate from default BSD language,
>it should help streamline both OSI approval and developer acceptance.
The QuantLib license is more similar to the MIT
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html) and the XNet
(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/xnet.html) licenses than BSD

I followed the guideline in http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html, where
FSF says:
>And if you want to release a program as non-copylefted free software,
>please don't use the advertising clause. [...] please copy the license
>from XFree86
>[...] if you talk about ``XFree86-style licenses'', you will encourage
>people to imitate XFree86 and avoid the advertising clause for certain
In the same web page a few paragraphs above FSF provides a link to
http://www.x.org/terms.htm from which I copied the licence.

To streamline OSI approval I changed the QuantLib license so that the first
3 paragraphs are now identical to the MIT license. The updated version of
the QuantLib License (http://quantlib.org/license.html) is:
QUANTLIB LICENSE 1.0

Copyright (c) 2000, 2001, 2002 QuantLib Group. All rights reserved.

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

Except as contained in this notice, the name of QuantLib Group members and the
name of the QuantLib Group itself shall not be used in advertising or
otherwise to promote the sale, use or other dealings in this Software without
prior written authorization of the interested party.

The QuantLib Group includes:
     Ferdinando Ametrano
     Luigi Ballabio
     Marco Marchioro
     Sadruddin Rejeb
     RiskMap srl
     Nicolas Di Césaré
     Enrico Sirola
     Mario Aleppo
     Adolfo Benin
     Maxim Sokolov

The rationale of the last 2 paragraphs is to state the authors and
copyright holders names and to avoid the usage of their names in
advertisement without prior written authorization.

I don't know of any existing license that would be incompatible with the
QuantLib license.
I think that the QuantLib license won't take precedence for derivative or
combined works.

I look forward to your feedback

ciao -- Nando