Squeak License OSD-compliance

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Feb 27 15:33:49 UTC 2002

Cees:

You appear to have misunderstood what <lichengtai at yahoo.com> said.  He expressed
hope that Squeak could be GPL-compatible, not that it would be GPL-like!

Perhaps my license_quick_ref.html [1] would be helpful to illustrate how the two
features are orthogonal.  ("GPL-compatible" is the column with the legend
"combine with GPL'ed code and redistribute".  "GPL-like" is logical NOT of the
column entitled "combine with proprietary and redistribute".)

I am a big fan of open source dynamic object oriented languages like Python and
E [2] and I've heard many great things about Squeak.  Let me add my voice to
lichengtai's that I hope Squeak will be GPL-compatible.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://zooko.com/license_quick_ref.html
[2] http://erights.org/

---
                 zooko.com
Security and Distributed Systems Engineering
---