Updated license from Edustructures

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Wed Feb 27 12:49:51 UTC 2002

> From:          "Steve Setzer" <Ssetzer at planetsoftware.com>
> Date sent:     Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:42:12 -0700
> To:            <license-discuss at opensource.org>
> Subject:       Updated license from Edustructures

[snip]
> Oh, and per Karsten, I submitted this one in text form. If/when the
> approval process is done, I will generate a new HTML version conforming
> to OSD's requirements and submit that for the OSD web site.

[snip]
You may think you submitted in text form, but you did not.  Text form
ideally means Not MIME, with no transfer encoding.  It at least means
content-type text/plain.

Here is what your message had.

Sorry, but I think most people ignored your message.
(But it was during a RMS et al slugfest on fsb at crynwr,
so maybe the encoding wasn't the reason.)  But I urge
you to resubmit it.

I dug out the text of your submission.

There are gratuitous changes in the copy of the GPL which appears.
Most of them appear to be formatting, but some may not be.  For
example, They have used a word "youmay" which I do not understand.
They changed "a brief" to "an", "year" to "yyyy" in the section
on how to apply these terms to your software.

[Note to opensource.org webmaster - please fix the '<' and '>'
tags in http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.html
when they should be < and >]

I do not dismiss these changes as "simple cut and paste" errors.
This discussion is about a legal document.  Precision is essential,
not optional.  Plus, the GPL is copyrighted.  Changes are not
allowed.

There are many wording changes to the Jabber section.  Reading
and analyzing those changes is going to take some time.  Since
the Jabber license is one of the most complex, and just on the
edge of acceptable open source, in my opinion, I urge that the
Edustructures license gets a full review, and not try to
piggyback on the approval of Jabber.  The changes they made
are not minor.

I recommend that until a text submission appears without the GPL
changes, (one that makes it easier to compare to the existing
licenses these are based on,) this license NOT BE APPROVED.

Forrest