Open Source Click-Wrap Notice

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Aug 12 03:42:00 UTC 2002

I would be careful not to over-read the court's point.  In Specht v.
Netscape, the court is trying to highlight factors that distinguish
browser-wrap from click-wrap since other courts have generally viewed
browser-wrap contracts as lacking strong indicia of mutual assent.

If the website appears to have merely set up a way to download software and
provided potential downloaders with a notice (that is not hyperlinked) to
read the license, then a court may view the notice as an invitation to read
a license (browser-wrap) rather than conclude that there is sufficient
indicia of mutual assent (e.g., click-wrap). To be clear, no court has
REQUIRED a set of dialog boxes or buttons with "I accept" or "I do not
accept." Rather, the point is that the website that seeks potential user
input (clicking buttons, pulling down menu items...whatever) may strengthen
the licensor's claim that the contract/license is binding upon the parties
because contract formation principles have been followed, and the court may
infer that the license was read and that the licensee agreed to the terms.

-Rod