OSI mark. was[Re: Backlog assistance?]

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Sep 23 02:23:28 UTC 2001

On Friday 21 September 2001 03:54 pm, Steve Mallett wrote:

> As more newbies come looking for this thing 'open-source' they keep hearing
> about they're going to want to know one thing only.  Is it open-source or
> not? Yes or no?

I second that opinion. As a developer, I take great pains in knowing how the
software I create is licensed. But as a user all I care about is whether it's
open source. Just a couple of weeks ago I burned a CD of miscellaneous
packages, source and tidbits for a friend without a broadband connection. I
would not have done that if I had to read 1000 licenses to make sure I wasn't
violating any copyrights.

--
David Johnson