newsforge story

Joseph Reagle reagle at w3.org
Wed Sep 5 19:50:24 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 15:03, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> For those that haven't seen, NewsForge is carrying a none-to-flattering
> story of the discussion on this list these past couple of weeks:
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/04/1615251

Yes, it's weird when people do reporting by quoting folks in an email
thread: some things are a little off.

Three issues:

A. http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/04/1615251
> Joseph Reagle of W3C resubmitted the license on August 31.

I did ping many times before. I only resubmitted when I was informally told
to do so. By informally I mean there was no email to me but to this list,
and there was no indication on any of the web pages this was the proper
approach.  (I don't think that's a good process regardless, just increases
the size and confuses the state of the back log, but I'm happy to comply if
that's what people want.)

B. http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/04/1615251
>"I submitted three licenses on 8/31 for review to the license-discuss
>mailing list. Has anybody reviewed them?"

I can not find these posts in the archive for the day of 2001/08/31 [1].
Perhaps this the problem?! Given I've contributed to the hassle of this
thread, I'd be happy to have a look.

C. http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/04/1615251
> Another post in support of certification of the W3C license
> asked the board why it had not been listed. "Actions the W3C
> would apparently like to take -- including hosting Amaya
> on sourceforge.net -- depend upon this approval, which has
> been pending for over a year.

This is an uncited (by Newsforge) excerpt from Matthew Weigel [0]. To be
clear, I only spoke of HTML Tidy (I'm unaware of the state of any plans for
Amaya). It's also subsequently been stated that while SourceForge relies
upon the OSI list as a white list, they're willing to accept other projects
at their discretion; they've kindly accomodated HTML Tidy under the W3C
software license.

[0] http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/msg03627.html
[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/license-discuss@opensource.org/maillist.html

RE: documentation
RE: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrellevant
RE: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrelevant
RE: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrelevant
RE: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrellevant
Re: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrellevant
Re: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrellevant
RE: License backlog - OSI is making itself irrellevant
Re: Submission of W3C Software License for Review