Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Oct 31 06:56:39 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 10:07 pm, Russell Nelson wrote:

> The Patent License does not say that you cannot run the software if
> your operating system is not GPL'ed.  It says that you are granted a
> license if your operating system is GPL'ed.  That's *all*.

And that's enough to disqualify it. The patent related rights granted may be
specious and useless, but they are rights. The OSD says "The rights attached
to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular
software distribution," and "all parties to whom the program is redistributed
should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the
original software distribution."

My interpretation is that "the rights" mentioned are all rights, not just
those related to the software's opensourcedness.

--
David Johnson