Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Oct 31 02:35:25 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 08:40 am, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Intel hereby grants Recipient and Licensees a non-exclusive,
> worldwide, royalty-free patent license under Licensed Patents to make,
> use, sell, offer to sell, import and otherwise transfer the Software,
> if any, in source code and object code form. This license shall
> include changes to the Software that are error corrections or other
> minor changes to the Software that do not add functionality or
> features when the Software is incorporated in any version of a
> operating system that has been distributed under the GNU General
> Public License 2.0 or later.

Now wait one cotton pickin' minute here! You mean to tell me I can't use this
software on FreeBSD? Then why the &*$#@! did you even start off with the BSD
license!

If the OSI certification mark only applies to licenses, then this one might,
just might, squeak by if you serve enough booze at the board meeting. But if
the mark applies to software, then it clearly fails. Software under this
license and simultaneously encumbered by a patent fails the OSD on numerous
points.

The Patent License is better than no license at all, but then again, a kick
in the pants is better than a kick in the head.

--
David Johnson