Is inherited class a derivative work?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu Oct 25 02:09:48 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 04:01 pm, Michael Beck wrote:

> No, it has nothing to do with it. Otherwise you would imply that every
> author not giving away the rights to his/her creation (book, movie, song,
> painting, house design, etc.) wants to have a "complete megalomaniac
> control" over their creation.

Some creators are complete megalomaniacs. I remember a case (Santa Cruz I
think) where the painter sued to prevent the demolition of a building because
his mural was on the side, despite the fact that he sold the mural and did
not own the building.

I would consider any architect that told me I couldn't "place a garage
between living room and bedroom" to be a complete megalomaniac.

--
David Johnson