The Invisible Hand

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Mon Oct 1 19:49:41 UTC 2001

Matthew C. Weigel writes:
 > It just so happens that the people involved with the OSI are
 > *motivated* by the social/ethical concerns, but try to present the
 > pragmatic issues in order to convince people.  They are not trying to
 > be pragmatic, they are simply accepting that other people are (and
 > trying to speak to their concerns).

This is a very good summary.

 > Once a developer has bought it, it really doesn't matter whether open
 > source is *actually* pragmatic or not (as long as they don't pull it
 > back out).

The FSF argues that, without the social/ethical committment to free
software, their committment to open source changes like the wind.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | It's a crime, not an act