Is the "Guile" license OSI approved?

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 10:46:03 UTC 2001

Martin Wolters [martinw at atc.creative.com]  wrote:

 > You can find a few open source projects on the web that use the so
 > called "guile license" which is the GPL + the following paragraph:

 > >     As a special exception, if you link this library with other files
 > >     to produce an executable, this library does not by itself cause
 > >     the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public

I'm not a lawyer, but, if this quote is correct, I believe it is badly
drafted,
as it appears to leave such derivative works without any licence at all and
therefore illegal.  I think theiy are missing the point that licences give
permissions, even though licence agreements may impose restrictions
in consideration for those permissions.

I would say that it should not be accepted until it is redrafted to state
what permissions do apply to such derivative works (probably also
making it clear where the boundary lies between a trivial wrapper to
try and negate the licenec conditions, and a complete program in the
sense they intended).