[Approval Request] BSD-Lite license

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Nov 27 23:27:13 UTC 2001

Paul Guyot wrote:

> Let's say that A supports a charity A* and says that you can make derived
> work out of her book a provided that you give 1 % of your benefits to
> this charity A*. B takes it for granted and makes a movie b. B supports
> another charity B*. Can B say that you can make derived work out of b by
> giving 1 % to B*? No, because it would be a derived work of a as well.
> All that B can say is that you have to give 1% to A* and 1% to B*.

Now we get to brass tacks.  I think this is not correct; you think it
is correct.  Anyone?

> If B creates b derived from a, B has to reproduce
> this. B cannot tell C to take her code and only respect the GPL. C will
> have to reproduce the BSD as well.  GPL forbids this, hence the
> incompatibility.

You believe that the BSD requirement to reprint the BSD condition list
(that's what we are talking about, as your next paragraph makes clear)
violates the GPL, specifically the following sentence from
Section 6:

	You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
	exercise of the rights granted herein.

> I guess that bootlegging copies here includes making copies

Yes.

> I'm not totally sure that Alice couldn't sue
> Mallory neither

This is the fundamental issue.

> But what if you consider Mallory adapting Bob's movie to a video game
> instead?

Same issue.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>