OSD compliant shareware

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Nov 18 23:45:54 UTC 2001

David Johnson scripsit:

> A menu at a restaurant clearly lays out the "terms" of the contract: a
> particular price in exchange for a particular item. The fact that you pay fo
> the item after you have used it does not make it very much different from any
> other commercial transaction.

Not my point.  The menu is a contract you're stuck with: your only recourse
is to go elsewhere if you don't like the terms.

> Contrast this to the MS EULA. You think you are engaging in a typical
> commercial transaction. You pay your money and you get a shrinkwrap box. Then
> you go home, open it, and discover a piece of paper that says you have
> already agreed to terms you have never seen before.

Typically the actual product (CD or whatever) is inaccessible without getting
past the contract.  Caveat emptor.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,