Spirit of OSD - was[Fails OSD #1.]

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Sun Nov 18 01:10:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:26:53AM -0400, Steve Mallett wrote:
> While its not 'statutory' do you still consider it the 'definition' of
> open-source?

Yes. Indeed, I don't believe a statutory-language definition would work as
a manifesto, the way the OSD does. Imagine if the declaration of
independence had been written in statutory language. I don't believe
it's possible to make a legal document without taking the romance out of
it.

> Recognizing the weaknesses (and strengths) of speaking in symbolic terms.....
> Is there anything _else_ that you feel helps define the 'spirit' of the OSD?
> Writings, postings etc....

The Debian Social Contract - the OSD is derived from part of that. My old
paper on the OSD at http://perens.com/OSD.html .

> *I apologize fully for sounding like a philosophy prof.

No problem. The license attempt that started this thread is did remind
me of a certain sophomore philosophy exercise.

	Thanks

	Bruce