OSD compliant shareware

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Fri Nov 16 19:46:56 UTC 2001

Humphreys, Noel wrote:

 > David Johnson wrote:
 >
 >> In the case of the GPL, and most other OSS licenses, I >>can
 >> completely ignore the license, place a full page ad >in the NYT
 >> saying "I Disagree", get an official judicial >decree that I have
 >>  not agreed, and STILL be able to use >the software under the
 >> terms of copyright law.
 >>

 > David, you're saying that, fundamentally, open-source licensing
 > simply doesn't work under US law.

Not at all.  Note the term "use the software"; copyright law
doesn't limit uses (except for DCMA).  Developers think of
"using software", especially libraries, as incorporating it
into their own works, but that is not the kind of "use"
meant here.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com