is R-Quant OSD compliant?

Ferdinando Ametrano ferdinando at ametrano.net
Wed Nov 14 13:13:08 UTC 2001

Hi all

R-Quant is an application that claims to be open source. I doubt it is and
I would like to have feedback from this list.

Extracted from the R-Quant license agreement
(http://www.smartquant.com/license.html):
 > This software as well as its documentation or other related
 > materials can not be used in any commercial application
 > without written permission or official license granted by the author.

Isn't this in contrast with the Open Source Definition (OSD):
OSD (http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html) paragraph 6:
 > 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
 > The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program
 > in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict
 > the program from being used in a business, or from being used for
 > genetic research.
 >
 > Rationale: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit
 > license traps that prevent open source from being used
 > commercially. We want commercial users to join our community,
 > not feel excluded from it.

Besides I think that R-Quant is not free software as defined by the Free
Software Foundation (FSF) (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html):
 > The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the
public, so
 > that the whole community benefits.

Am I right?

To paint the full picture: R-Quant links GPL software.

ciao -- Nando