GPL under MacOS and NewtonOS

Chris Gehlker gehlker at fastq.com
Sun Nov 11 14:06:36 UTC 2001

On 11/11/01 12:00 AM, "Paul Guyot" <pguyot at kallisys.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Still on Sunday morning issues.
>
> I have an interpretation of the GPL and I would love to be proved
> wrong because it makes the use of a lot of open source code
> impossible on NewtonOS.

[big snip]

I can't really speak to the Newton.

I had some of your concerns with CodeWarrior and wrote directly to the FSF
who told me that they had no problem with my releasing GPL'ed CodeWarrior
code that used PowerPlant. Their point was that anyone else with CodeWarrior
could compile it. They also allow MFC in GPLed code.

I also checked with MetroWerks who said that their only concern was that
people not use their academic version to release commercial code. Their
license specific says you may include their code in free software by their
own interpretation.

The case of TEC on 68K Macs is interesting. I have not seen this issue
discussed specifically. I would assume it's OK for two reasons:

1) I got it from MetroWerks who specifically licensed me to use it in GPLed
code.
2) I think it was in Apple's 68k gcc compiler. I no longer have a copy to
check.
--
In the midst of great joy, do not promise anyone anything. In the midst of
great anger, do not answer anyone's letter. -Chinese proverb