Open source shareware?

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Thu Nov 8 18:29:29 UTC 2001

John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com> wrote:

> Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:
>

> > What if the shareware clause was clarified as follows:
> >
> >    If you decide to run the software after a 30 day evaluation period,
> >    you must pay a fee of $20 to <copyright holder> for the right
> >    to make copies in computer memory for the purposes of running the
> >    software.
>

> Still won't work, I think.  That kind of copying is, at least
> in the U.S., explicitly permitted by law.  To take away that
> permission, the user would have to have a valid contract with
> the copyright owner.

I went back to find a copy of that recent message I referenced.
I am not a lawyer, and did not read the ruling, but my understanding
is that the context applies here too.  If so, the copyright act
allows my control over that copying.  Where does the OSD prohibit
it?

(My email client may have reformatted lines....)