Open source shareware?

Feller, Joe JFeller at afis.ucc.ie
Thu Nov 8 16:21:18 UTC 2001

Forrest J. Cavalier III [mailto:mibsoft at mibsoftware.com] wrote:

> Can someone point out the OSD violation of a shareware
> license such as the following?  I realize it violates
> the spirit of the OSD, but I cannot find where it violates
> the "letter" of the OSD.  The OSD is silent on "use" and
> I think this illustrates the problem.

I think the OSD is subtle, but not silent, on this issue

"If you decide to run the software after a 30 day evaluation period,
you must pay a fee of $20 to <copyright holder.>"

is, to my mind, a violation of clause 6 "No Discrimination Against Fields of
Endeavor" which states that "The license must not restrict anyone from
making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it
may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being
used for genetic research."

In this case, the license discriminates against one particular field of
endeavor, namely use of the product for greater than 30 days without
payment.

Joe

Joseph Feller
jfeller at afis.ucc.ie