lesser GPL restrictions

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at greymalkin.yi.org
Thu Nov 8 03:46:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 06:48:35PM -0800, David Johnson wrote:
> I did not intend to misinterpret what you wrote. Here it is:
> "somebody gets rich, you and the community gain nothing"

WRONG (sorry for caps, but they are deserved)

THIS is what I wrote:

<<
a) anyone can make a proprietary version of your program, or proprietary
   extensions of your program.
   somebody gets rich, you and the community gain nothing

Quite different than saying I said
"somebody gets rich, you and the community gain nothing"

> You made it sound as if "somebody gets rich" were a bad thing, so I countered
> with the Redhat example. Regardless of whether the software is copylefted or
> unrestricted, somebody can STILL get rich, so enrichment doesn't belong in
> the equation.

now if you please, read 1+1=2, and do not read 1=2, thank you.

Hugs, rms