copyrights

Chris Gray chris.gray at acunia.com
Wed Nov 7 11:46:13 UTC 2001

Michael Beck wrote:

> [...]

Show me the licence which prevents forking, and I'll show you the
side-effects. :) But in general: anti-forking measures typically award
a monopoly over future development to some (real or legal) person
or other entity.  Either that person or entity gets to acquire rights in

code which others have written, or he/she/it has a blocking veto
(and becomes a single point of failure).

Forking is not a Good Thing, but it's not such a Bad Thing as it's
sometimes made out to be.  It's a symptom, not a disease.

And yes, this discussion is getting to be wide-ranging and off-topic.

Chris