Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat Nov 3 06:15:40 UTC 2001

Russell Nelson scripsit:

> Sure, why not?  The GPL discriminates against people who want to
> create proprietary derivative copies.

Foo.  That is not discrimination; "people who want to do XXX" is not
a *pre-existing* group, which surely is what is meant.  You might
as well say that your local supermarket discriminates against people
who have no money.

The Intel license *does* discriminate against a pre-existing group:
those who don't use Linux (and drafting the license so as not
to mention Linux is an obvious tactic, the kind used in U.S. tax
law to grant BigCos a tax break without naming them).

> Understand that the patent grant is not what is creating the
> discrimination.  It is the existance of software patents.  They are
> evil and must be destroyed.  But until they are, we have to deal with
> them.

Fine.  Let Intel license its patent royalty-free and without discrimination.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,