Response to comments on Intel's proposed BSD+Patent license

Matthew C. Weigel weigel+ at pitt.edu
Fri Nov 2 21:05:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Intel can't solve those problems but it should be commended for doing
> what it can (even if it isn't doing everything that we think
> possible).

Yes.  Although my one response to this was in the negative, I *do*
think it's great that Intel is trying.  It's wonderful that Intel is
interested in contributing to the wider community some access to their
patents.

Nonetheless, I think this license can only apply to open source
software in the trivial case (no patents).
--
 Matthew Weigel
 Research Systems Programmer
 mcweigel at cs.cmu.edu ne weigel at pitt.edu