The Straight Dope on Zope

Derek Seabury Derek.Seabury at speechworks.com
Tue May 29 15:08:05 UTC 2001

"Feller, Joe" wrote:

> I've been scouring the web and my library trying to figure out why the Zope
> Public License (ZPL) Version 1.0 is not on the OSI approved list, since it
> would appear to be substantively identical to the Apache Software License.
> Has Zope not applied? Or is it under consideration? Or has it been rejected?

If there are no differences from the Apache Software License then they can say
that they are certified and open source without needing specific approval.
There wouldn't be any benefit to having many copies of the ASL with different
names on the list of approved licenses.

With the SpeechWorks Public License there was a clause added to explicitly list
non-infringement as not guaranteed so there were changes and we are awaiting OSI
approval / blessing.  If however they were to note that adding the clause is an
acceptable variation on the ASL we'd be perfectly happy and could claim OSI
certification of the SPL.

Derek

--
Derek.Seabury at SpeechWorks.com