Apache vs. BSD licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Mar 20 23:13:22 UTC 2001

On Wednesday March 21 2001 06:41 am, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> > There's a difference between aligning and coinciding. If my goals
> > coincided exactly with the FSF, you would be completely right. But if
> > they differ even a tiny fraction, then the possibility exists that
> > another license is more suited to my purposes. That's why multiple
> > political parties exist in free nations, and why multiple free licenses
> > should exist for Free Software.
>
> What differences, specifically?

You mean between the Republican and Reform parties? Between the GPL and the
BSDL? Between the FSF and myself? Or between "aligning" and "coinciding"?

Assuming you meant the latter...

Coincide means to occupy equivalent positions, while align means to be on the
same line. The first is a location and the latter a direction.

--
David Johnson