Apache vs. BSD licenses

Ian Stokes-Rees ijs at decisionsoft.com
Tue Mar 20 12:44:45 UTC 2001

To clarify:

Please refer to the "GPL-Incompatible, Free Software Licenses" section
on the GNU web site at:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

Second, my mistake was in wording: We are not going to turn over our
software to Apache, therefore when I say we are considering releasing it
under the Apache License, I mean that we are considering releasing it
under an Apache _style_ license, basically using v1.1 as the template.
If we were to do this, and subsequent developers were to do the same,
then each developer who redistributed the accumulated code base with new
files and entirely new code which they put under _their_ version of
Apache License, the credits list would grow and grow.

This is my _understanding_ of what happens when people use Apache, and
that it was the major criticism of the original BSD license, hence the
new BSD license.  I fully accept that I may have a misguided impression
of how Apache and Apache style licenses work, hence my posts to this
discussion list.  I would appreciate any clarification.

We do not want there to be run away licenses on the code base we are
distributing.  If we release it under BSD and other people do the same,
then their will only be two licenses: One for Xerces (Apache License),
and one for everything else (BSD).

Finally, it was mentioned that (to quote): "... the Apache licence
(which is *not* the Apache 'Public' licence, btw) ...".  I was under the
impression that the Apache License was, at times, refered to as the
Apache Public License.  The following links somewhat support that claim
(both on apache.org):

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/license.html
http://xml.apache.org/batik/license.html

Cheers,

Ian.

--
Ian Stokes-Rees, Engineering Manager  DecisionSoft Ltd.
Telephone: +44-1865-203192            http://www.decisionsoft.com