Apache vs. BSD licenses

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Tue Mar 20 11:58:44 UTC 2001

Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:

> We are looking at open sourcing a software project and are currently
> trying to evaluate BSD vs. Apache.  The issue is that our code base
> includes Xerces-C (XML parser) which is under Apache Public License.
> The implication, then, is that for both subsequent source and binary
> distributions there is the requirement to a) include the APL (this
> makes sense and isn't a problem), and b) include credits in binary
> only distributions (more annoying).

What clause of the Apache licence (which is *not* the Apache 'Public'
licence, btw) requires you to accrete credit?  All it says is that
if you use stuff from the ASF, you need to say so.  A one-liner,
plus the Apache licence file, ought to be sufficient.

> I understand that the FSF position on this is that the APL is GPL
> incompatible because otherwise the required list of creditors
> grows and grows with every person who makes individual
> contributions which are not signed over to one of the current
> "owners".

That is not the case.  Nothing in the Apache licence requires
anything of the kind.
--
#ken    P-)}

ApacheCon 2001!
Four tracks with over 70+ sessions. Free admission to exhibits
and special events - keynote presentations by John 'maddog' Hall
and David Brin. Special thanks to our Platinum Sponsors IBM and
Covalent, Gold Sponsor Thawte, and Silver Sponsor Compaq.  Attend
the only Apache event designed and fully supported by the members of
the ASF. See more information and register at <http://ApacheCon.Com/>!