so waht? Re: WG: MSFT and GNU questions

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Sun Jun 10 22:21:19 UTC 2001

David Johnson <david at usermode.org>
wrote:
[...]
> And, while GPL isn't the *only* free software license, some 90% of
> free
> software projects (based on independent counts by me of SourceForge
> aprojects and Debian packages) use the GPL and/or LGPL licenses.
> That's
> a very large majority.  A significant remainder are BSD/MIT or
> similar,
> many of these being fully GPL compatible.  MozPL and variants round
> out
> much of the remainder, on-off licenses and corporate licenses are
> relatively rare.  While a useage-weighted survey might suggest a
> greater
> significance of other licenses (BSD:  apache, bind; MIT:  X11; MozPL:
> Mozilla, Galeon, Skipstone...), there's no question that the GPL is
> significant both by the volume of usage and its own peculiar nature.
>
> That said...

So what?
The GPL and LGPL are arguable the oldest "free" or "open" licenses.
Slighly followed or even older, by MIT/BDS licenses.

Thats no wonder that there is more software published under that
license.

Reading this mailing list people are also strong encauraged not to
invent new ones but to choose existing ones.

If you look, it seems to my eye that GPL is the easyst, "I throw my code
to the public" license, where the author of the code has minimum hazzle
to consider side effects etc.

Other licenses are more complicated, so if I would like to get rid of
the burdon of some code, but also like it to be available for the public
I publsih it under GPL. That one needs the less infrastructure from my
side ....

Just my thoughts so ....

Regards,
       Angelo

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467