GPL and closed source

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Jul 13 01:14:30 UTC 2001

On Thursday 12 July 2001 04:43 am, Stephane Routelous wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let's say that I've developped a programm under GPL.
> Is it possible to create Closed-source plugins for the GPL programm and
> sell them ?

The opinions are all over the place on this one. It doesn't matter how legal
it is, if some jerk on Slashdot decides that it isn't and a big stink gets
created. In real-world terms, it doesn't matter what the GPL says, it matters
with the community thinks it says. Just ask Corel, Caldera and Trolltech.

So simply put an exception after the license. If you don't mind other people
distributing closed source plugins for your program, then make it a general
exception for plugins. Otherwise make it a specific exception to allow
plugins distributed by the program's copyright holder.

--
David Johnson