GPL and closed source

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 16:56:20 UTC 2001

> From:	Carlo Wood [SMTP:carlo at alinoe.com]
>
> Selling closed source plugins wouldn't be illegal anyway,
> but wouldn't it be illegal for the buyers to link the bought
> plugins with the GPL-ed opensource?  If so then that means that

My impression was that the FSF only really cared about
re-distribution, so the real issue would be with the
fact that the proprietory plug-in might have to be linked
against a copy of the shared library by the supplier,
a borderline case, needing a real lawyer.  My impression is
the whole area is sufficiently borderline to require
a real lawyer.

There are precedents for GPLed containers running proprietory
code, e.g. the Linux HP Desk Jet drivers (this might be LGPL).
The proprietory part is not linked - I think the communication
is either through pipes or through sockets.