Cherry-picking license proposals

Dave J Woolley david.woolley at bts.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 16:28:31 UTC 2001

> From:	Carter Bullard [SMTP:carter at qosient.com]
>
> Is the OSI trying to make a determination that two
> different legal documents are functionally equivalent?

	[DJW:]  As I understand it, they are determining
	whether the licence is a member of the set of
	possible "open source" licences.

> The place to define the liabilities and remedies is in the
> license.  My companies license has some detail in this area.

	[DJW:]  IANAL, but I believe that it can only be
	done in a contract.  Many "licenses" are actually
	both a licence and a contract, and some of the
	arguments about shrink wrapped licences are about
	whether a contract actually exists.  In English, law
	contracts require an offer, acceptance of that offer
	and a consideration (something given in return). It
	would probably help if "open source" licenses that
	attempt to go beyond a statement of permissions
	explicitly identified all three components.
[DJW:]