Open Source *Game* Programming License

Bryan George bgeorge at mitre.org
Thu Jan 18 19:43:45 UTC 2001

I'm not arguing that anyone should pull a Mozilla and "open source" a
non-functioning version of software.  That clearly serves no one's
interests and would rightly antagonize the Open Source community.

What I would argue is that someone (presumably a company, but it could
be anyone) might provide the source code for a game program, together
with a usable but less than awesome "reference" world file with a
published format (so that if anyone else wants to develop open world
files they may), then advertise and sell (yes, _sell_ :))
professionally-developed world files.

At that point the source code is for a player that delivers content
obtained commercially.  The Open Source community can develop and
improve the player, and develop free worlds if it likes, the vendor can
be fairly compensated for the time and effort required to develop the
"pro" worlds, and its competitive edge against other companies is
maintained through retaining talent and developing tools to construct
content.

See, free software, but not free beer.  Or to put it another way, nobody
walks away with everything, but everybody walks away with something.  I
may be completely full of spam here, but it seems like a reasonable
approach.

As always, IANAL, and I _so_ do not speak for my employer... :)

Bryan