Misunderstanding of the basics?

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Mon Jan 15 18:48:02 UTC 2001

Ralf Schwoebel <puzzler at intradat.com> writes:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > But if you look at
> >     http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
> > you will see that there are some sentences which you are ignoring.
> > Specifically, the license must allow modified and derived works.  Your
> > license does not allow them--it requires the licensing bits to be
> > unmodified.
>
> Thanks Ian,
>
> to get back to the text :-), that is not true:
>
> 2.2.: ...intraDAT hereby grants you....
> a) to use, reproduce, modify, display and perform the IPL code....
>
> so?

I was not referring to that paragraph.  I was referring to these
paragraphs:

    6.3. In each case of distribution or using parts of the IPL Code
    in your own software, you must meet all of the following
    conditions with respect to the distribution of any work based on
    the IPL Code or Documentation which is distributed under this
    license:

    6.3.3. You are not allowed to modify, delete or suspend the IPL code
    concerning the License Key. You have to include this part in your own
    software if you use any part of the IPL Code in your own software
    unless you have written consent by intraDAT to leave the License Key
    part of the IPL Code out (see 3.3).

These paragraphs say to me that the IPL does not follow the OSD.

What is the truth here?  Am I permitted to modify the licensing code,
or not?  The text seems more or less clear to me, and it seems clear
to me that it does not follow the OSD.

The rest of your message does not seem relevant to me.  I think that
you are misunderstanding the nature of the objections which people are
making.  I don't know why.

Do you sincerely believe that your license meets the Open Source
Definition at
    http://www.opensource.org/osd.html
If you do, you need to answer people's objections.  If you do not,
then your license is not open source.

Your protestations about earning money are irrelevant.  If you want to
change the Open Source Definition, please state specifically what
changes you would like to make.

Otherwise, please don't waste our time.

Ian