boomberg bloopers

Frank LaMonica frankl at valinux.com
Sat Feb 17 23:20:35 UTC 2001

The real problem with the MicroSoft model is that they artificially
inflated the price of software to way beyond its true cost to develop.
Now they are implying that the government should help them maintain that
artificial price point.  Many developers working on open source projects
today are funded directly or indirectly by commercial companies who plan
to make money by selling all sorts of other added value.  These "clued
in" companies recognize that the supply and demand for software
development is weighted far to the supply side.  What is lacking in
supply is organized support, culpability for product quality, commitment
to schedules demanded by commercial requirements, management direction,
and the list goes on....  The software itself can be created at a cost
that is only a fraction of what MicroSoft charges for their products.
Look at MicroSoft's cash reserves and the insane salaries of their upper
managers if you think they are only generating a "fair" profit.  People
used to say that the software business allowed companies to print their
own money.  That model is being eroded by the internet.  Consumers now
have direct access to development resources, so the true cost of
software is being passed through the system.  That scares MicroSoft,
because the legions of people in their organization who create ZERO
value can no longer milk the industry.
Frank

 Frank LaMonica                           frankl at valinux.com
 Strategic Director of Multi-Media  \//\  VA Linux Inc.
 (512) 378-3003                           (512) 378-3004 fax