Public Domain License

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 28 20:21:01 UTC 2001

begin Karsten M. Self quotation:

> There are certainly works which have text attached to them stating that
> they are released to the public domain, or words to the effect.  The
> conventional understanding is that this means the work is licensed for
> use without conditions.  I'll refer to this as an unconditionally
> licensed work.  This raises additional questions of things important
> under contract law, such as consideration, which may be lacking, and
> would raise questions as to the validity of the license.

There's frequent confusion on this point:  Consideration is a required
element of _contracts_, but has no obvious relevance to grants of
non-default rights under copyright law.

IANAL, either.  This is not legal advice.

--
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.
rick at linuxmafia.com