copyrightable APIs? (was RE: namespace protection compatible wit

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Fri Apr 20 18:12:13 UTC 2001

This is the issue I was hinting at. I do not believe that as a general
matter that APIs should be copyrightable under U.S. copyright law since
section 102(b) of the Copyright Act should exclude APIs from copyright
subject matter. Having said that, I admit the issue seems unresolved since
both Microsoft and Sun Microsystems are two well known developers who
claim copyright interests in APIs; Microsoft for Windows, and Sun for
Java.

Rod