Review of SpeechWorks Public license

Derek Seabury Derek.Seabury at speechworks.com
Thu Apr 5 17:25:30 UTC 2001

Hello,
    I still haven't heard anything a few months after submitting the following
license to the approval list, so I thought I'd try to get a head start and
post to the discussion list to see if anyone had feedback.

    The SpeechWorks Public License v1.1 can be found at
http://fife.speech.cs.cmu.edu/openvxi/swipl.html
and is based on the BSD license with the following exceptions:

1)    "All rights reserved" is stricken.

2) SPL adds the following condition -
    Products derived from the software may not be called "SpeechWorks", nor
may "SpeechWorks" appear in their name, without prior written permission of
SWI.

3)    In the SPL we suggest people read the README.html for the package

4) The SPL replaces "WARRANTIES" with "WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS" in two
places.

5) The SPL adds "TITLE" and "NON-INFRINGEMENT" to the list of explicitly
disclaimed warranties.

6) The SPL changes "SWI OR CONTRIBUTORS" to "SWI OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS"

I think the last one may be a mistake but I thought I'd collect any input from
the list before pushing the legal department for v1.2.

Thanks for the input.

/Derek
--
Derek.Seabury at SpeechWorks.com
(617)428-4444

May 2 is Global Speech Day! Join the First-Of-Its-Kind Web Event about
speech recognition technology. Hear industry experts. Access the largest
volume of information ever assembled on speech -- its powerful business
benefits, its future and more. Information and registration at
http://www.globalspeechday.com