Disallowing distribution of binaries

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) jhm at cistron.nl
Fri Sep 15 16:06:13 UTC 2000

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 16:12:11 +0300, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> we would like to add an additional restriction to the GNU GPL license: to
> disallow distribution of the software in *compiled* form on non-open
> source operating systems. Unfortunately this is not compliant with the
> Open Source Definition (v1.7, section 2).

> The rationale doesn't mention why the compiled form must be freely
> distributable, and I cannot see myself how my suggested additional
> restriction would break the open source philosophy.

The Open Source Definition is essentially identical to the Debian Free
Software Guidelines (DFSG, http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines)
which predate the notion of "Open Source".

The DFSG constitute a framework for deciding which software could be
considered "free" for, among other things, distribution as part of a
(binary) Linux distribution.

Distributions contribute IMHO to an underlying part of the free software
philosophy: enabling everyone to use free software. Building software from
source is something only a small part of humankind knows (or wants to know)
how to do.

> I am sure we can make money even we place the software under the GPL for
> all OSes, but the question is for how long? How do we prevent anyone from
> taking our business by simply copying what we are doing?

By providing added value compared to others; a common example is in the form
of services, consultancy, maintenance contracts, for-pay custom development
etc.

Being able to distribute copies (in source or binary form) of your program
may level the playing field somewhat, but you're still the expert. Put that
expert knowledge to work.

> I cannot convince myself that we can make money in the long run by
> keeping the software open source as it is defined by OSI, and it is
> even harder to convince investors.

There are quite a few examples of businesses making money from free
software (e.g. Cygnus Solutions, Signum, Prosa). But, unlike traditional
proprietary software, with free software your business model will be quite
different from "write a program once, then sell millions of copies and
retire". It is not about "make money fast", but about keeping customers
satisfied, in the long run.

HTH,
Ray
--