Disallowing distribution of binaries

Bjorn Andersson ban at lifix.fi
Fri Sep 15 13:12:11 UTC 2000

Our company is going to develop a product that will be available on
multiple platforms. We believe in the benefits of open source software,
and want to put our software under an open source license.
However, to ensure a revenue from our effort, we would like to add
an additional restriction to the GNU GPL license: to disallow
distribution of the software in *compiled* form on non-open
source operating systems. Unfortunately this is not compliant
with the Open Source Definition (v1.7, section 2).

The rationale for section 2, Open Source, is:
"We require access to un-obfuscated source code because you can't
evolve programs without modifying them. Since our purpose is to make
evolution easy, we require that modification be made easy."

The rationale doesn't mention why the compiled form must be freely
distributable, and I cannot see myself how my suggested additional
restriction would break the open source philosophy. Could someone
please explain this to me?

I am sure we can make money even we place the software under the GPL
for all OSes, but the question is for how long? How do we prevent
anyone from taking our business by simply copying what we are doing?
I cannot convince myself that we can make money in the long run by
keeping the software open source as it is defined by OSI, and it is
even harder to convince investors.

Regards,
Björn Andersson

PS. Is there an archive on the web for this mailing list?

--
Björn Andersson  <bjorn at lifix.fi>                        +358-50-3412556
Lifix Systems Oy <http://www.lifix.fi/>