Free documentation licenses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 29 15:57:02 UTC 2000

begin John Cowan quotation:

> Well, that's not the whole truth either.  I could take a bunch of
> BSD modules, create a derivative work, and license the result under
> the GPL.  Or under a proprietary license, for that matter.

No, not exactly (unless you _own copyright_ on those modules).  I don't
think you're quite understanding my point:

You would remain bound to the obligations of those modules' BSD licence.
(But, of course, there _are_ no BSD-licence obligations to speak of.)
The modules' individual copyright & licence statements would have to
remain intact in copies of the source code.  Otherwise, you are
violating the copyright holder's terms.

> Of course, this is somewhat pointless, since you could do exactly
> the same thing with the same modules and license it under a different
> license.

I'm having a difficult time parsing the above sentence.  Perhaps after
coffee, I'll have an easier time.

--
Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell
rick at linuxmafia.com