Free For All by Wayner

kmself at ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 13 06:50:10 UTC 2000

on Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 02:05:08PM +0800, W . Yip (weng at yours.com) wrote:
> I refer to the following:
>
> "Free For All: How Linux and the Free Software Movement undercut the
> High Tech Titans" by Peter Wayner (HARPER BUSINESS, July 31st 2000)
> ISBN:0066620503
>
> Has anyone read this book? I am curious whether this book discusses
> licenses in any depth, in particular about GPL. Unfortunately,
> bookshops in my country do not carry this book and I have no
> opportunity to browse, and I don't want to place an order with online
> book retailers unless I am sure there is *some* discussions conducted
> regarding the terms of the licenses.

I haven't read it myself.  Friend whose opinion I respect found it
pretty good, particular for a historical background.  The book does
touch on major licenses, including a couple of pages on GPL.

A rather better site in general for the GNU GPL is the FSF's own
website.  For a good third-party perspective, I'd turn to
http://www.stromian.com/, where Don Rosenberg has compiled a rather nice
collection of others and his own essays on free software and free
software licensing.  Don's also got a book called _Open Source: The
Unauthorized White Papers_, which does focus principally on licensing
and business implications of same:
http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=0764546600

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself