License for JavaScript applications

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat May 20 02:11:37 UTC 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Samuel Reynolds wrote:

> According to Bruce Perens, it qualifies as open-source, but
> has the same loophole as the Artistic License it derives from
> (supposedly, one could write a 5-line program and then sell
> the result).

Gee, everyone from BP to ESR to RMS keep telling me it's about free
speech and not free beer, so why do they get so worried about selling 5
line programs :-) Yes, the AL has a loophole, but the loophole has
nothing to do with the OSS definition. And despite the fact RMS no
longer considers the AL to be a Free license, it still meets each and
every one of his definitions as well. Until you get official approval,
feel free to call it a genuine Free Software License.

--
David Johnson...