License for JavaScript applications

Samuel Reynolds samuel_reynolds at csgsystems.com
Fri May 19 15:20:42 UTC 2000

ipeters at europe.mitem.com wrote:

> I have a JavaScript application that people are able to download and use
> for free.
>
> The current license is a bit of a made-up-on-the-spot mess and I would like
> to convert to an Open Source license.
>
> However, every license I have looked at so far makes the assumption that
> the application has "binary" and "source" versions.
>
> Does anybody know of a license that is aimed at script applications where
> the executable and the source are the same thing?  Is anybody working on
> such a license?  Does anybody have an opinion on the need (or not) of such
> a license?
>
> Cheers
>
> Ivan

I created the Frontier Artistic License for just this reason.
According to Bruce Perens, it qualifies as open-source, but
has the same loophole as the Artistic License it derives from
(supposedly, one could write a 5-line program and then sell
the result). It hasn't been officially approved by OSI, but
that appears to be possible only if you are a large,
market-affecting entity.

The FAL is online at <http://spinwardstars.com/frontier/fal.html>.

- Sam
Samuel Reynolds