"Open Source" Motif

Joseph Carter knghtbrd at debian.org
Tue May 16 05:42:42 UTC 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 10:18:38PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> > >The rights granted under this license are limited solely to distribution
> > >and sublicensing of the Contribution(s) on, with, or for operating systems
> > >which are themselves Open Source programs
> >
> > Which puts it in the same category as Qt v1: not DFSG-free, free or Open
> > Source.
>
> This got me to thinking. Perhaps the QPL (QTv2+) is the perfect license
> for what the Open Group needs...
>
> Would the Open Group be willing to take a lateral step and restrict
> the usage of OpenMotif to linkage with Open Source programs only? Their
> cash cow would remain intact, but their software would be fully Open
> Source, as well as Free Software.

I would seriously ask TOG to rewrite two or three of the clauses in the
QPL as a matter of enforcability for one and awful ambiguities for
another.

The QPL ended up not what I expected at all.  There are a couple of
clauses in that license that are truly terrible and reading through the
thing you can see that clearly if you speak English (or some variant of)
natively.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd at debian.org>               GnuPG key 1024D/DCF9DAB3

* boren tosses matlab across the room and hopes it breaks into a number
  aproaching infinite peices