CSuite

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu May 11 02:20:03 UTC 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, laurent.duperval at cgi.ca wrote:

> Interesting comment. How do you characterise the GPL? In effect, the GPL
> coerces (forces?) you into "freeing" your source code. Mind you, I've always
> been a proponent of the GPL until its terms and conditions bit me today (see
> my earlier messages).

I find myself in the unenviable position of defending the GPL :-)

To characterize the GPL as coercive is wrong. No one is required to use
the GPL or GPLd software. To rephrase the GPL in a nutshell, "you have
permission to do a whole bunch of stuff with the software, provided you
follow these rules".

It's rather like certain religous organizations that say "you don't
have to believe as we do, but if you sit in our pews, you better act
like you do."

--
David Johnson...