Using GPL'd software in BSD-licensed app

laurent.duperval at cgi.ca laurent.duperval at cgi.ca
Wed May 10 16:08:13 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'm writing a little application which is based on code that is licensed
using a BSD type of license. I want to add a feature for which I know some
code exists. I found the code but it's GPL'd. If I make use of that code,
what happens to my license? Does it automatically have to be GPL'd? Am I
allowed to distribute the GPL'd code with my code without affecting my
license? I'm trying to ease my life by not having to rewrite something that
already exists. I'm trying to ease the life of potential users by not
needing to have them run around the globe to get all the parts needed for my
software to work. I don't want to scare other developers away from usingmy
code because it's GPL'd.

What are my options?

Laurent Duperval                   "Montreal winters are an intelligence test,
CGI - SARM Project                        and we who are here have failed it."
Phone: (514) 350-3368                                           -Doug Camilli
mailto:laurent.duperval at cgi.ca      Penguin Power!